We all have people in our lives who mean a lot to us and it is important that we take the time to let them know this.
Life is short and you never know when it will be the last time you get a chance to show your love and appreciation for the people who matter most to you in your life.
While there are numerous ways you can go about demonstrating your appreciation for those who are important to you, this article highlights five of those ways.
- Say How You Feel: People often won’t necessarily know they matter unless you take the time to tell them. So, getting in the habit of telling people you love them, appreciate them, and value them is vital. When people know clearly how you feel they won’t have to guess. It will make them feel reassured, safe, and secure in their relationship with you and the relationship will grow in its levels of trust and intimacy.
- Listen Well: Active listening is another way to make people feel like they matter. When a person knows that you are a safe space where they can share their thoughts, feelings, and opinions without judgment or being attacked/critiqued it will help establish closeness. When people feel heard by others it helps them know that they are valued, making this one of the best ways to let people know they are important to you.
- Remain Present: This means staying in the moment when you are interacting with the person you care about. When you are distracted by other activities or conversations (i.e. checking texts/social media or looking at the television), it is a non-verbal way of communicating that the other person isn’t important enough for you to pay attention to. Thus, making every effort to fully attend to the person you care about will show them that they matter to you.
- Give Gifts: Giving gifts outside of birthdays and holidays can be a pleasant surprise that communicates how much you value another person. Gifts show that you think highly enough of the person to do something nice for them just because.
Additionally, making the gift highly personal or something you know the person needs, wants, or enjoys shows the effort you are willing to put in so that you can let them know they matter. The gifts do not have to be expensive, they simply need to show that you put time and thought into choosing them for that person.
- Physical Touch: Sometimes it is nice to show your affection physically. This does not have to be sexual, though in an intimate relationship it certainly can be. However, even more, simple acts of physical touch can display value and love. Hugs, kisses, holding hands, and even giving high-fives can communicate how special a person is to you.
It does not have to be hard to show the people in your life that they matter. A few intentional acts and words of kindness can go a long way in showing how much you care for another person The key is to be thoughtful and to be consistent so that those in your life who matter to you know that they are important.