During the lockdown, I rediscovered the love of model making I had as a child and teenager. I was delighted to discover that Lego was producing models for adults (well, anyone over 16), many of which come under the Lego Technics category. I also dabbled with wood models, but the great advantage of Lego for adults is there’s no need for glue or paint. These are some of the kits I’ve made, and some I’d like to. Jerry.
Please note, as an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases:
LEGO 42107 Technic Ducati Panigale V4 R Motorbike, Collectible Superbike Display Model. Price £42.99
This was the first motorbike model I’d made and it was great fun with many hours of satisfying assembling. I’ve never actually ridden a motorbike and the thought of going near a Ducati is terrifying!. But I love the engineering and the look of the bike. Another benefit is that it’s relatively small. Mine is on a shelf, tucked between books, and it looks good!
- The model includes a 2-speed gearbox, a first for LEGO Technic motorbike models, and front and rear suspension for realistic movement
- Features great attention to detail, with attributes from the original, like realistic turning front wheel and front and back disc brakes
- Discover how the gearbox activates the V4-cylinder engine and feel the smooth ride of different driving techniques with the 2-speed action
- A kickstand, exhaust pipe, windshield & dashboard add the little details that make this superbike model toy so true to the full-size version
- The classic red colour scheme brings the motorcycle to life with true Italian flair; display the sleek silhouette on the Ducati racing stand.
As the title suggests, Lego have an ‘Expert’ series that comes under the Creator banner. And yes, I did this one too! I think I found this one of the most satisfying models I’d assembled. It gave hours of pleasure, and to my mind, really looks the part. Whoever engineered this deserves a pat on the back.
Here’s the spec:
Explore the finer details of iconic engineering with the LEGO® Creator Expert 10269 Harley-Davidson® Fat Boy® motorcycle. Developed in partnership with Harley-Davidson, this highly detailed LEGO motorcycle captures the magic of the real-life machine, from its solid-disc Lakester wheels with beefy tires to its teardrop fuel tank with printed logos and inbuilt speedometer. Other features include a Milwaukee-Eight® engine with moving pistons, dual exhaust pipes, handlebar steering, moveable gearshift pedal and brake levers, kickstand and a sturdy display stand. Finished with a dark red and black color scheme, this amazing display model makes a truly iconic centerpiece for the home or office. This advanced LEGO set provides an immersive and rewarding building experience.
- Features solid-disc Lakester wheels with beefy tires, teardrop fuel tank with Harley-Davidson logos and inbuilt speedometer, Milwaukee-Eight® engine with moving pistons, dual exhaust pipes, handlebar steering, moveable gear shift pedal and brake levers, kickstand and a sturdy display stand.
- Comes with an authentic dark red and black color scheme.
- This LEGO® motorcycle makes an iconic centerpiece for the home or office.
- Spin the rear tire to see the Milwaukee-Eight® engine pistons spring to life.
- New-for-July-2019 decorated elements include 2 dark red 2×4 tiles printed with the Harley-Davidson® Fat Boy® tank emblem.
- Special elements include a new-for-July-2019 rear rim with super-wide tire.
- Measures over 7” (20 cm) high, 7” (18 cm) wide and 12” (33 cm) long.
LEGO 42125 Technic Ferrari 488 GTE “AF Corse #51” Super Sports Car Exclusive Collectible Model, Collectors Set for Adults. Price £145
At the time of writing, this is the model I’m working on. I have to confess, I was in two minds about it, especially the fact it is smothered in stickers. It goes without saying that I pushed the doubts aside and I’m really pleased I did. There’s no rule that all the stickers have to be applied, even though it would be typical of an endurance car and the sponsorship it carries. The model itself is top quality and I’m really having fun putting it together helped by the fantastic illustrations in the manual.
Here’s the spec:
Delivering prestigious wins for the Prancing Horse in the worlds toughest endurance races, the LEGO Technic Ferrari 488 GTE AF Corse #51 Inch building set (42125) is a car unlike any other. Now you can create your own LEGO Technic model version, complete with authentic design details – just like on the iconic original. With amazing attention to detail, this racing car model is a true expression of Ferraris endurance racer. Features include front and back suspension, opening doors, a V8 engine with moving pistons and a steering wheel that steers the car. Original stickers and authentic colours add the Ideal finish to this epic model.
- Features Ferrari 488 GTE racing car model packed with authentic design details, capturing the Italian spirit of the trophy-winning racer
- Authentic features include front and back suspension, opening doors, a V8 engine with moving pistons and functioning steering wheel
- Thanks to the opening doors and bonnet, all the details packed inside can be easily explored and they look just like the iconic original
- With original race stickers and a faithful colour scheme, it will take pride of place in the home or office of any motorsports fan
- This model kit brings hours of enjoyment as LEGO fans carefully craft their own displayable model replica of the acclaimed race winner.
LEGO 42115 Technic Lamborghini Sián FKP 37 Race Car, Advanced Building Set for Adults, Exclusive Collectible Model. Price £234.99
Roll on Christmas! And no, I don’t own this one, but it’s hard to ignore and I’m hoping to get around to it. On the plus side, the model has over 3,000 five-star ratings on Amazon. It doesn’t surprise me knowing the level of detail that goes into crafting these models. Is there a downside? It isn’t cheap and you’ll need to find space. I’ve included an image of it being assembled and you’ll see it’s a beast!
Here’s the spec:
Explore engineering excellence and experience the unmistakable power and looks of the Lamborghini Sián FKP 37 as you become immersed in this LEGO Technic building set (42115) for adults. With superb detailing, the model car is a faithful representation of the original Sián FKP 37 in eye-catching lime green with golden rims and decorated elements.
Authentic features include the 8-speed transmission activated by the movable paddle gearshift, V12 engine with moving pistons, 4-wheel drive, and classic scissor opening doors, just like the full-size super sports car. Use the steering wheel to position the car, then check out the front and rear suspension. Lift the bonnet to discover your unique serial number and unlock special online content.
Enjoy quality downtime as you bring the beautiful Sián FKP 37 to life with this incredible and rewarding building set designed especially for super sports car fans and adult LEGO builders. Presented in a luxury lime green Lamborghini box, it includes a decorative display plate and an exclusive coffee-table-quality book with building instructions, images and behind-the-scenes interviews with the LEGO Group and Automobili Lamborghini teams that worked on this project.
Measures over 5 Inch (13 cm) high, 23 Inch (60 cm) long and 9 Inch (25 cm) wide.
- This 3,696-piece LEGO Technic 1:8 scale model car brings you closer than ever to the real Lamborghini Sián FKP 37
- Faithful features include V12 engine with moving pistons, steering, front and rear suspension and rear spoiler, and opening scissor doors
- Admire the 8-speed sequential transmission, opening front and rear hood, detailed disc brakes, golden rims, and lime green colour scheme
- Includes a collectors building instruction booklet, decorative display plate, and unique serial number
- The Sián FKP 37 LEGO model is presented in luxury packaging and provides a stunning display piece to build and enjoy
- With its elegant design and superb detailing of the decorated elements, the model is a realistic representation of the original sports car.
I’m partial to a bit of industrial and this big beast has caught my eye. It’s priced at a decent point and has over a thousand pieces. This, as my wife will attest, will keep me quiet for many hours. It’s big, but not so big I couldn’t find it a place to sit.
Here’s the spec:
Learn how a concrete mixer truck works and bring the world of construction to life with this challenging building set. Youngsters with a passion for vehicles will enjoy building this LEGO Technic Concrete Mixer Truck (42112). With 8 robust wheels, a moving motor, opening driver’s cabin and large rotating mixing drum, it looks and moves just like the real thing. Kids can turn the striking blue drum manually or set it to automatic to see it turn as the truck drives along. The concrete mixer truck set comes with 100 1×1 concrete LEGO bricks to fill the drum. When the drum is turned counterclockwise with the handle, the concrete will unload to pour into position, using the funnel to guide it.
Measures over 16 Inch (42 cm) long, 7 Inch (19 cm) high and 4 Inch (12 cm) wide.
- Discover all the cool functions of this Concrete Mixer Truck with rotating mixer drum – the model looks and moves just like the real thing
- Turn the truck’s drum manually to mix the concrete bricks or set the drum to rotate automatically as the truck drives along
- Use the handle to control the funnel to pour the concrete bricks into position on site after being mixed in the truck
- Features include moving wheels and motor, opening cabin door, rotating drum and 100 individual LEGO bricks to load and unload as concrete
- With 1,163 pieces and measuring 42cm in length, kids will enjoy a challenging build before exploring all the awesome features of the truck.
A friend bought me this for a birthday. It took hours to build, of course, but was a huge amount of fun. A lot of work has gone into the interior, which is basically the equivalent of a doll’s house on wheels. It’s a decent size and at less than a foot in length, not so big as you’re left scratching your head wondering where to put it.
Here’s the spec:
This authentic camper van is a replica of the classic Volkswagen Camper Toy Van from 1962. Every iconic feature is here! On the outside, the terrific detailing includes ‘V’ shape three-way color split at the front, rounded roof and window frames, opening ‘splittie’ safari windshield, opening doors, iconic pop-up roof with textile curtain surround, roof rack, rear side air intake vents and lots more!
The detailing is equally impressive on the inside, from the authentic VW air-cooled flat four-cylinder ‘boxer’ engine, front cabin bench seat, gear stick, angled dashboard and iconic spherical speedometer, to custom LEGO features like folding rear bench seat, folding dinette table, closet with mirror and even a painting! Contains 1,322 pieces – Ages 16+. Toy Van measures 11.8″ (30cm) long and 5.5″ (14cm) high.
- Build the classic 1962 camper toy van packed with authentic features! Includes “V” shaped color split
- “splittie” safari windshield
- pop-up roof
- textile curtains
- “boxer” engine
- wing mirrors and folding furniture Interior also features rear bench seat that transforms into a bed
- ‘Make LEGO Models
- Not War’ T-shirt and rear shelf with plant Contains 1332 pieces – For LEGO fans over 16 years old LEGO Creator Expert building toys are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building
LEGO 10256 – CREATOR EXPERT – TAJ MAHAL. Price £431.31
It’s not all about vehicles. The Lego Creator range showcases a few buildings, of which the Taj Mahal is just one. With nearly 6,000 parts, this is something that could keep the weekend hobbyist going for months. But, and it’s a sizeable but, the model is ‘huge’ (see the image below) and you’ll also need deep pockets or someone who really likes or loves you to pay for it. These issues will be mere asides for the dedicated – and I know you’re out there!
Here’s the spec:
With the Lego Creator expert set “Taj Mahal” you can create one of the greatest architectural wonders in the world. This impressive LEGO interpretation of a building that is regarded around the globe as a symbol of undying love was originally launched in 2008 and has now been re-issued to celebrate its 10-year anniversary.
The model consists of more than 5,900 Lego parts and captures the splendour of this enormous mausoleums made of ivory-coloured marble. In the foreground there are the elaborately crafted facades with curved gables, balconies, arched windows and countless details. Decorative crowning features adorn the middle roof dome, the domed secondary chambers and the rising minaret. A raised, elaborately decorated platform surrounded by gables and detailed tiles at the base gives this magnificent model the final touch.
- Lego interpretation of a real architectural wonder – the Taj Mahal.
- New version of the model released in 2008 with 4 facades with elevations and round windows, one main dome, 4 domed secondary chambers and 4 minarets, which all have magnificent adornments. A raised platform is surrounded by elevations and the base by elaborate tiles. The entire model impresses with its countless magnificent details.
- It can be divided into 7 modules to be transported easier.
- Try out your skills as a Lego building master with one of the largest Lego models of all times.
- Special elements include 6 blue 16 x 32 base plates, white 1 x 5 x 4 stones with arches, many transparent elements and gems, as well as 1 x 2 strips with nubs.
LEGO 21045 Architecture Trafalgar Square Building Set, with London Landmark National Gallery Collectible Model. Price £56.91
I’m not familiar with this model, but if the idea of constructing a building is for you, then I can see the appeal of the price point. At just over £56, it’s a good price for a model with over 1,000 components.
Here’s the spec:
Capture the essence of a historical London landmark with the LEGO Architecture 21045 Trafalgar Square set, containing 1197 pieces. Named in honor of Lord Horatio Nelson following his 1805 naval victory over Napoleon, the square has since become a popular tourist attraction and preferred location for political and community gatherings. This detailed LEGO interpretation depicts the domed national gallery complete with columned facade, Nelson’s column flanked by lions, the square’s famous fountains and four sculpture plinths. Finished with a decorative nameplate, this LEGO architecture set delivers a highly satisfying building experience.
- This highly detailed interpretation of Trafalgar Square with a decorative nameplate captures the essence of a historical London landmark
- Features the National Gallery with detailed interior, Nelson’s Column flanked by 4 lions, 2 Trafalgar Square fountains, amongst others.
- The sections at the rear of the National Gallery can be removed for access to a detailed interior with brick-built statue and paintings.
- Tree-lined borders, ornate lampposts, 2 London buses, 2 black cabs and a tiled baseplate depicting the surrounding roads complete the model.
- Information about the architecture and history of each structure, in many languages available for download at LEGO.com/architecture.
Measures over 4 Inch (12 cm) high, 9 Inch (24 cm) wide and 7 Inch (20 cm) deep.
LEGO 10274 Creator Expert Ghostbusters ECTO-1 Car Large Set for Adults, Collectible Model for Display. Price £151.98
Okay, it’s another vehicle, but not as we know it! You’ve seen the movie and here’s the car. Is it a hearse conversion?
Here’s the spec:
If you’re a Ghostbusters fan, LEGO has got just the thing for you – the LEGO Creator Expert Ghostbusters ECTO-1 car building set (10274). Get ready for this building project for adults with spookily better details. Bust the stress out of everyday life and indulge in some quality me-time as you build a LEGO version of the converted 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance from the Ghostbusters movies.
Based on the Ghostbusters: Afterlife movie version, this ECTO-1 model features working steering, a trapdoor, ghost trap, an extending rear gunner seat, proton pack and cool details from the original car such as the iconic Ghostbusters logo. You don’t need a collection of LEGO sets to enjoy this buildable model car kit. Just find some table space and maybe some Ghostbusters tunes to play in the background.
This LEGO car set is part of a collection of inspiring LEGO building kits for adults who love better design. It makes a fantastic Ghostbusters gift for yourself or the model car lover in your life who’s looking for their next project.
- This buildable classic car model is a stunning replica of the iconic ECTO-1, based on the 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Futura Duplex
- The car features spookily good details: working steering, a trapdoor with ghost trap, an extending gunner seat, plus a moving ghost sniffer
- A delight for adult Ghostbusters: Afterlife fans, including the Proton Pack which swivels out of a side panel to trap ghouls and ghosts
- Check out the scissor seat mechanism that extends and rotates the rear seat, and other intriguing elements attached in unique ways
- The movie model car boasts Ghostbusters paranormal detection equipment, with individual details explained in the collector’s guide
WMYCONGCONG 62 PCS Gundam Model Tools Kit Modeler Basic Tools Hobby Building Tools Kit for Buildings Cars Airplanes Model Assemble Building Repairing and Fixing. Price £40.99
If like me, you want to try your hand with wood-based or some plastic models, you’ll need some additional kit. This handy kit comes with the essentials. Depending on where and how you work, you might also want to consider some additional lighting, but let’s stay focused.
Here’s the spec:
- Wide Application: The modeler basic tools set is ideal for beginners and professional modelers, wildly applied to toys manufacture area, such as cars, robots, cartoon, buildings, airplanes and other crafts.
- Durable to Use: Diagonal pliers has high hardness, designed with safety protection cap to protect blade; the tweezers are made of high quality stainless steel, solid construction, sharp enough, providing with long life period.
- Great Helper: Meet all beginner’s basic requirements, suitable for both beginner and advanced modeler, great helper for your gundam building work.
- Lightweight & Portable: Packed in a sturdy clear box, convenient to carry and install. You can take it anywhere, use it anytime.
- Various Tools Kit: Package including 4xSandpaper;1xCutting pad;1xSaw;2xSaw Blades;1xPen Knife and 1x5pcs Spare Blade;1xElectric Grinding Machine and 5pcs Grinding Head; 1xSeparator; 1xNipper Pliers;1xDiagonal Pliers;1xSteel Rule;1xSoft Rule; 10xColor Clips(5 red clips 5 black clips);10x Pegwood;1xKnife;2xPolishing Block;2xDouble-sided Polished Bar; 4xKnife Stones; 1xHand Drill;1x10pcs Drills; 1xScissor;1xCompasses;5xFiles;5xTweezers;2xScrewdriver.